As my Samsung S7 Edge sits in a bowl of uncooked rice in my kitchen, I can feel the fumes still rising from my ears. I’ve been trying my hardest to keep my cool after my phone dropped in the pool yesterday and blacked out.
I’d just taken the prettiest pictures of blue skies, beautifully shaped clouds and erect palm trees when I decided to test the “waterproof” function of my phone. Let’s just say I guess the people in Thailand probably forgot to reattach the “waterless” portion during the repair I had during my spring vacation there.
I was so angry inside.
But I quickly realized I was letting a perfectly good summer holiday pass me by as I cried over spilled milk and a phone that could literally be replaced tomorrow.
That got me to thinking about the insanely long list of irrational, silly angers we tote around each day, missing the beauty that’s really in the midst. We’re so tied up being angry at the smallest, trivial things, we fail to see the abundant blessings that surround us, even in the most annoying situations.
5 (of 1 million) Silly Things That Upset My Soul!
1. Phone damage – Let’s just start here! Yes, I’m still pissed I have to revert to using my Samsung J5 as I work on a replacement, but the day my phone went for a dive and blanked out; took me away from aimlessly scrolling my Instagram, Facebook and Twitter timelines every 5 minutes to talking to my bf and some friends, people watching and actually feeling the music the DJ was playing, he actually killed it and I enjoyed it! These days, sometimes being without our silly phones is a good thing.
2. Traffic – Late, tired, wanna get home to watch your fave show, I get it, I’ve been there too! But literally these days I take it all in stride and try to take in the sights, sounds, feels and smells while I’m wading through the 5pm rush. With my favorite playlist bumping and being thankful for the house, job or dinner I’m headed to or from…I remember that life’s good, even in traffic.
3. Towing lines at the bank, grocery store…anywhere! – This is another kind of traffic that usually gets us worked up and rightfully so! But stop for a second and take stock of where you are…the bank, the grocery store; places some people only wish they could enter to make those transactions. Lighten up, start a convo and count your blessings!
4. Slow loading screens/bad WiFi – It’s really not that serious trust me! LOL! I work from home and I need technology on my side at all times, but when the WiFi trips out and decides that it just doesn’t wanna connect, my impulse reaction is to curse, throw my phones and computer to the ground, unplug everything and try again. But that actually would use up energy that I already don’t have. Instead of breaking up everything, I sometimes wait out the technical difficulty by going outside for some fresh air, even if it’s just walking to the car for something, taking out the garbage, or sometimes I exercise. Yes! You’d be surprised to know how much time you kill with three rounds of 10 squats, 10 push ups and 10 jumping jacks!
5. Being told to “calm down” or “relax” – Ok, sure, I probably need to tone it down a little when I’m pissed off, but could I just have this moment to vent?! It irks me to the core when I’m venting to someone I trust about something and they shoot back the good ole, “relax!” OMG!!! I’ve been trying to be better about this, but I’m still not there yet. Working on it…
What silly thing pissed you off today, but probably shouldn’t have? Share your pet peeves with me in the comments section!